Thursday, May 29, 2008

When movies Nuked the Fridge

Now I'm starting to think about when certain movies have "Nuked the Fridge." It doesn't have to be an implausible unbelievable moment. Just when a movie or series looses its moorings and you begin to check out.

Last summer's "Transformers" started off good, but when the dog peed on Optimus Prime it NUKED THE FRIDGE. ("That's gonna rust" ?) Also, about the same time John Turturro showed up. After that the film deviated into Muppet Land.

"Across the Universe" NUKED THE FRIDGE when Bono shows up with his bus.

I saw a post that said "Spiderman 3" NUKED THE FRIDGE when Peter Parker gets all cool and dances around the bar--tapping into his darker side. I agree with that but for me that movie NUKED much earlier, and I think it had something to do with Topher Grace's first scene...but I can't remember for sure.

How about the Star Wars franchise. It NUKED when the Ewok's showed up in "Return of the Jedi." Or, maybe when Vader's helmet came off and there was a fat accountant inside. But that was at the end of the movie, so it didn't ruin a whole lot. Barring that, after Jar Jar Binx, Star Wars had definitely NUKED.

That's all I've got for now...

No comments: